Birthdate: January 28, 1980
Birth Place: Korea
Age: 29 - Ht.: 5’6"
Home: Scottsdale, Ariz.
College: Arizona State
Turned Professional: 2002
Joined LPGA Tour: 2003
LPGA Tour Victories: 1 - 2005 Corning LPGA Classic
Started playing golf at the age of 13. Credits God, her mother, her brother David, her grandmother, coach Jim Flick and Patrick Ward for most influencing her career. Kang had an extensive and impressive amateur career that began with an American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) Rolex All-American selection in 1996. She was an AJGA Rolex All-American honorable mention selection in 1999, the same year she was named the Pacific Northwest Golf Association (PNGA) Amateur Player of the Year. In 1998, she was the PNGA Junior Player of the Year and won titles at the Orange Bowl International Junior Golf Championships, the PING Junior Championships and the Polo Golf Junior Championships. In 1999, Kang won the WIAA state and district championships, the Washington Women’s Amateur Championship and was the runner-up at the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship. She qualified to play in the 1999 SAFECO Classic in Kent, Wash., and threw out the first pitch at a Seattle Mariners game at SAFECO Field during tournament week. As a freshman at Arizona State University, she was a Second-Team All-Pac-10 selection for the 2000-01 season and earned First-Team All-Pac-10 honors the following year after winning the 2002 Pac-10 Championship. She also won the 2001 New Mexico State Intercollegiate and recorded 10 top-10 finishes in two years of college competition. In 2001, she won the PNGA Women’s Amateur Championship. She was a National Golf Coaches Association (NGCA) First-Team All-American for the 2001-02 season and played on the West All-Regional Team from 2001-02.
Shot 67-70 (137) to tie for medalist honors at Rockville to qualify for this year’s Women’s Open.
* In 2008 recorded three top-10 finishes, including a season-best tie for seventh at the Hana Bank ? KOLON Championship 2008. Carded a season-low 67 in the final round of the SemGroup Championship presented by John Q. Hammons, the first round of the Michelob ULTRA Open at Kingsmill and the first round of the LPGA State Farm Classic, where she crossed the $1 million mark in career earnings.
* In 2007, best finish was a tie for sixth at The Mitchell Company LPGA Tournament of Champions.
* In 2006, best finish was a tie for ninth at the LPGA Takefuji Classic.
* In 2005, became a Rolex First-Time Winner at the LPGA Corning Classic, where she recorded her first LPGA career hole-in-one during the final round; carded a career-low 62 the next week at the ShopRite LPGA Classic; recorded second career LPGA hole-in-one during the first round of the State Farm Classic.
* In 2004, recorded eight top-10 finishes, including two wins, on the Futures Tour and topped the Futures Tour money list, earning 2004 Futures Tour Player of the Year honors and exempt status for the 2005 LPGA season.
* In 2003, carded a season-low 69 during the third round of the Longs Drugs Challenge; tied for 33rd at the CJ Nine Bridges Classic presented by Sports Today; returned to the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament, where she tied for 42nd to retain non-exempt status for the 2004 LPGA season.
* In July 2002, turned professional; as a competitor on the Futures Tour, won the M&T Bank Loretto Futures Golf Classic and finished fourth at the Betty Puskar Futures Golf Classic; tied for 24th at the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament to earn non-exempt status for the 2003 LPGA season.
1999 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -2; Rounds Played - 6; In Money - 1; Top-10 Finishes - 0; Scoring Average - 73.17; Money - $0.00; Best Finish - T-60th at the SAFECO Classic
2000 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -2; Rounds Played - 4; In Money - 0; Top-10 Finishes - 0; Scoring Average - 78.00; Money - $0.00; Best Finish - Cut at the Kraft Nabisco Championship and U.S. Women’s Open
2002 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -1; Rounds Played - 2; In Money - 0; Top-10 Finishes - 0; Scoring Average - 77.00; Money - $0.00; Best Finish - Cut at the U.S. Women’s Open
2003 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -13; Rounds Played - 36; In Money - 7; Top-10 Finishes - 0; Scoring Average - 73.36; Money - $19,620.00 Rank (163rd); Best Finish - T-33rd at the Hana Bank - Kolon Championship
2004 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -2; Rounds Played - 5; In Money - 1; Top-10 Finishes - 0; Scoring Average - 74.60 Rank (172nd); Money - $3,178.00; Best Finish - T-65th at the Hana Bank - Kolon Championship
2005 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -25; Rounds Played - 75; In Money - 19; Top-10 Finishes - 2; Scoring Average - 72.55 Rank (44th); Money - $333,661.00 Rank (39th); Best Finish - Win at the LPGA Corning Classic
2006 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -17; Rounds Played - 54; In Money - 13; Top-10 Finishes - 1; Scoring Average - 72.46 Rank (61st); Money - $105,770.00 Rank (85th); Best Finish - T-9th at the LPGA Takefuji Classic
2007 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -26; Rounds Played - 79; In Money - 19; Top-10 Finishes - 2; Scoring Average - 72.76 Rank (39th); Money - $304,609.00 Rank (42nd); Best Finish - T-6th at the Mitchell Company LPGA Tournament of Champions
2008 LPGA Tour Summary: Tournaments entered -28; Rounds Played - 96; In Money - 24; Top-10 Finishes - 3; Scoring Average - 72.30 Rank (51st); Money - $373,365.00 Rank (51st); Best Finish - T-7th at the Hana Bank - Kolon Championship